Walmart Foundation awards $135,000 to Support Families and Children
State Giving Council gives $350,000 to support programs that help families, seniors and children across Ohio
(Columbus, Ohio) February 17, 2015 – Representatives from central Ohio Walmart stores today presented Walmart Foundation grants totaling $135,000 to three non-profit organizations that support families and children across the state. The grants were presented during an event at the Faith Mission’s Community Kitchen in downtown Columbus.
- CHOICES for Victims of Domestic Violence received a $50,000 grant to support the organization’s crisis hotline, shelter, counseling and other services aimed at interrupting the cycle of domestic violence in our community and advocating for social change.
- After-School All-Stars Ohio received $50,000 to support its Healthy Lifestyles Program, which will be used to leverage students’ interest in cooking and gardening, teaching them lifelong skills in the area of physical fitness, making healthy food choices and understanding nutrition.
- Ohio Court Appointed Special Advocates was presented $35,000 to support local programs and to train volunteers who are appointed by the courts to actively advocate for abused and neglected children in Ohio’s court system.
“The cornerstone to Walmart and the Walmart Foundation’s commitment to making a difference in the communities we serve is supporting organizations that help so many individuals to live better,” said Daniel Miller, Manager of the Walmart Supercenter in Dublin. “We are proud to have this important opportunity to help support the fight against domestic violence, ensure children are safe and are provided the skills to succeed in the future.”
The grants presented today were made possible through the Walmart Foundation’s Ohio State Giving Program which awards funds to organizations that have a long-lasting, positive impact on communities across the U.S. In addition to the grants awarded today, the Walmart State Giving Council has awarded $350,000 over the last couple months to organizations that support at-risk youth, families and seniors throughout Ohio. The other organizations that received grants include:
- Boys and Girls Club of Cleveland – $30,000
- Junior Achievement (statewide) – $60,000
- Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland – $25,000
- Toledo Seagate Foodbank – $25,000
- Cincinnati Area Senior Services (CASS) – $50,000
- Senior Independence (southwest Ohio) – $25,000
To be considered for support from the Walmart Foundation’s State Giving Council, perspective grantee organizations must submit applications through the Walmart Foundation’s online grant application. Applicants must have a current 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status in order to meet the program’s minimum eligibility criteria. Additional information about the program’s funding guidelines and application process are available online at www.walmartfoundation.org/stategiving.
About Philanthropy at Walmart
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are committed to helping people live better through philanthropic efforts. By operating globally and giving back locally, Walmart is uniquely positioned to address the needs of the communities it serves and make a significant social impact within its core areas of giving: Hunger Relief & Healthy Eating, Sustainability, Career Opportunity and Women’s Economic Empowerment. Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are leading the fight against hunger in the United States with a $2 billion commitment through 2015. Walmart has donated more than 1 billion meals to those in need across the country. To learn more about Walmart’s giving, visit www.foundation.walmart.com.
Representatives from central Ohio Walmart stores and the Transportation Division in Grove City presented grants on behalf of the Walmart Foundation totaling $135,000 to non-profit organizations that support families and children. The grants were presented to Sue Vilillo, Executive Director of CHOICES for Victims of Domestic Violence, Rick Smith, Board President, Ohio Court Appointed Special Advocates and Sienna Daniel, Director, After-School All-Stars Ohio.